About the project
ARACY was commissioned by the ACT Directorate of Education and Training to conduct a two-year project (2014-2015) entitled Progressing Parent Engagement in the ACT. This project was undertaken by ARACY in partnership with the Association of Independent Schools, Catholic Education Office of the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn, the ACT Council of Parents and Citizens Association, Association of Parents and Friends of ACT Schools, and Catholic School Parents Canberra Goulburn.
The project provided the Directorate with a strong evidence base to support parental engagement in ACT primary and high schools in order to enhance the partnerships between families and schools and equip them to better focus on children’s learning and wellbeing in the primary school and high school setting
The project activities involved:
- producing a definition of parental engagement that is evidence-informed and that reflects the priorities and perspectives of ACT parents;
- fostering the development of a shared understanding between families, schools and administrators about what parental engagement is and why it matters;
- developing a framework for measuring parental engagement, including a survey schools can use to measure current levels of engagement in their community and track progress over time that can be used across government, Catholic and independent schools; and
- producing evidence-informed resources for families and schools to equip them to strengthen their parental engagement practice.
The project involved working with and listening to ACT parents, families, school staff and the community about what matters to them in children's learning. A series of technical reports were developed examining definitions, a conceptual model and measurement of parental engagement, as well as fact sheets and key-idea resources to provide schools and families with tips and strategies on 'what works'.
Each of the deliverables from the project can be accessed below.
- Technical Report: Our Evidence Base – Progressing Parental Engagement
- Technical Report: Our Evidence Base – Defining Parental Engagement
- Technical Report: Our Evidence Base – Measuring Parental Engagement
- Education Capital: Parent fact sheet
- Parental Engagement: Communicating with your child's school
- Parental Engagement: Family-led learning – engaging the whole family
- Parental Engagement: What you can do at home – Parental Engagement in Primary school
- Parental Engagement: What you can do at home – Parental Engagement in Early childhood
- Education Capital: Teacher fact sheet
- Parental Engagement: Supporting children's learning at home
- Parental Engagement: Building a strong culture of parent-school engagement
- Parental Engagement: Supporting parents to get engaged with the school community
- Parental Engagement: Engaging with families of children with a disability
- Parental Engagement: Engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian families
- Parental Engagement: Engaging with families for whom English is an additional language or dialect